Wednesday 24 June 2020

Engineering is no longer just a job for the boys

Every time I get asked about my job, people say: “Oh, not too many women do that, do they?”, which sometimes gets tiring. I’ve attended events with my husband as my guest and people assume I’m his plus one because “surely the man must be the engineer?”.

The engineering sector has, however, made huge advances in becoming a better place for women to work in recent years.

Flexible working is becoming much more commonplace in the industry as a whole, and female role models in senior positions are more visible. Unconscious bias training and computer engineering jobs are also helping but there’s still a huge gap in the supply of talent in the industry, with many engineers approaching retirement and a lack of pipeline to replace them. Women must be part of the solution to that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How the Global Talent Stream functions

 There are two classes under the GTS: Category An and Category B. The two classifications help Canadian managers select profoundly gifted ab...